How can new mothers restore their pre-pregnancy bodies after having children? One option, called the “Mommy Makeover,” is gaining popularity.
What exactly does a Mommy Makeover entail, and what are the pros and cons of this combination of surgical procedures? Let’s break down the basics.
What Is a Mommy Makeover?
A Mommy Makeover is usually done at least six months after a woman has children, and helps women regain their pre-pregnancy shape. It includes some combination of the following procedures:
- Tummy Tuck: A tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) can be done to remove excess fat and hanging skin in the tummy area, resulting in a slimmer and tightened look.
- Liposuction: Liposuction is the removal of excess fat deposits by suction. The most common areas for liposuction are the abdomen, hips, love handles, and thighs.
- Breast Augmentation/Lift: Breast augmentation helps enlarge the breasts using either saline or silicone implants. A breast lift can reduce sagging of the breasts. Both of these procedures can also be done at once.
- Labiaplasty: Vaginal birth can distort the size and shape of the labia majora and labia minora, which are the inner and outer lips of the vulva. This procedure reduces the size of elongated labia, and modifies any asymmetry.
Are You a Good Candidate?
If you are looking to reverse the physical changes associated with having children and aging, and meet any of the following characteristics, you may be a good candidate for a Mommy Makeover:
- Sagging Breasts: You have sagging or uneven breasts, decreased breast volume, or stretched areolas (the dark skin around the nipple).
- Enlarged Breasts: Your breasts have become much larger or out of proportion after childbirth, causing you back pain.
- Loose Skin or Excess Fat: You have loose skin, stretch marks and excess fat on your abdomen, love handles, hips and thighs, which does not respond to diet and exercise.
- C-Section Scars: You had a C-section and now have fat deposits hanging over your surgical scar.
- General Good Health: You otherwise have good general health and realistic expectations of surgery.
What Are the Pros and Cons?
Like with any surgical procedure, there are pros and cons to having a Mommy Makeover.
The main pro to a Mommy Makeover is that it can help you reverse sagging breasts, restore a flatter tummy, and achieve an all-around more youthful appearance. You will be able to fit into your pre-pregnancy clothes and swimwear better, and in many cases, improve your self-esteem.
On the other hand, having a Mommy Makeover also has cons that are worth considering. Getting breast implants will require monitoring and possibly replacement. If you get pregnant again, it may affect results of surgery, and if you gain weight after surgery, results may be compromised.
Is It Safe to Combine Multiple Surgical Procedures?
Additionally, any plastic surgery comes with associated risks and complications, including:
- Nerve damage
- Anesthesia complications
- Blood loss
- General dissatisfaction with the results
There are additional risks associated with Mommy Makeovers, because it is a combination of multiple procedures. There are many reasons why patients would like to have more than one procedure done at a time, including needing multiple procedures to achieve the desired look, reducing the total time in surgery, and cutting down on anesthesia and facility fees.
But is it safe?
The cumulative effect of multiple procedures performed in a single operation and the extended time under anesthesia may increase the potential for complications. However, when the patient is healthy, when there’s an appropriate time limit on anesthesia, and when the surgeon chooses the right order to perform the procedures in, combining multiple procedures is generally safe.
If you are considering having a Mommy Makeover, you should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in the combination of procedures you desire. Ask about how many times your surgeon has successfully performed such lengthy procedures, and if possible, talk to previous patients. Discussing the pros and cons together can help you decide whether a Mommy Makeover is right for you.
Interested in learning more about Mommy Makeovers? Contact one of our surgeons today!